Sunday 11 November 2012

Research through Science

Thin Sections
Looking at these photographs I have gained knowledge of preexisting forms and patterns found in minerals. This can help me decide what shapes work aesthetically in nature. I used this as a loose guide when creating sketches and eventual watercolours of thin sections. Using scientific conclusions, I could try to apply them to my art practice. For example, the phenomenon of twinning in crystals. By creating sculptures then diving them through central boundaries and thus creating a rotation or reversal of the sculpture. An interesting method to create different structures.




Microscope photographs of different minerals.
-Images from H.G Smith's 'Minerals and the Microscope' (revised by M.K Wells)-




The final  form of my 'Thin Section' painting  series. 
Using these paintings, I wish to display them in microscope-type slides. Squeezing them against the glass I can relate them more towards the whole interest I have in science and how we are constantly surrounded by Geology. 


No comments:

Post a Comment