Thursday 15 November 2012

I based a series of paintings on the colours and crystal systems of different gems and minerals. Below are some examples.

Thin Section Painting Series

I created a series of circular watercolours based from existing gems and minerals. This is how I chose the colour and geometric pattern (based from their crystal system). I intentionally chose them to be round to mimic thin section taken from mineral to see their composition and to imply a microscope lens. 




This is a  design for a Hexagonal crystal system, following a method from the book 'Gemmologists' Compendium' by Robert Webster.

Pre-made Colouring Sheets
I found a book of Mandela drawings which inspired me to make my own colouring-in sheets. 


The Colour Results

I have been using the original matrix sheets to create these coloured versions. I originally wanted to use colours based from how we psychologically think about colour. This ended up being a failure because humans want to use all the colours not just one shade. I gave a few copies out to other students to fill-in; some of the results are below. 
My first attempt at using colour based from psychology 

A colouring done from a student

An ink painting of a Hematite crystal.
I think this is a successful drawing because of the shades of black ink infused with the resilient line of the graph-paper; it acts as an already present molecular crystal structure.

A reverse image of a coloured image from a student.  

A reverse image of a coloured image from a student.  

I think these versions look more effective because the areas are not being divided by black lines. 

A coloured image from a student.  

A coloured image from a student.  

An experiment using colour based from psychology 

An experiment using colour based from psychology 

No comments:

Post a Comment